Bible Verses That Bring Comfort In Times of Loss
Loss is an inescapable part of life. Most (if not all) of us have experienced some kind of loss at some point in our lives. But that doesn’t make it any easier.
Coping with the death of a loved one is a very poignant and personal journey. It takes us through a roller-coaster of emotions that leaves us devastated, confused and empty. All we want to do is curl up and weep until our tears have run dry. Most of the time, it feels like the universe is conspiring to bring you the greatest of sorrows.
During these troubled times, remember that you are not alone. You have God and his unending and unconditional love. He is our refuge and our salvation. He understands the pain of losing someone you love as he himself sent his only son to save us from sin.
To help you get through this ordeal, here are some bible verses to comfort you in times of loss:
Verses for Strength and Healing
- Pour out all your worries and stress upon him and leave them there, for he always tenderly cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7
- Are you weary, carrying a heavy burden? Then come to me. I will refresh your life, for I am your oasis. Matthew 11:28
- When you pass through the deep, stormy sea, you can count on me to be there with you. When you pass through raging rivers, You will not drown. When you walk through persecution like fiery flames, you will not be burned; the flames will not harm you. Isaiah 43:2
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matthew 5:4
- God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
- Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness, and broke away their chains. Psalm 107:13-14
- “He heals the wounds of every shattered heart.” Psalm 147:3
- “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes and eliminate death entirely. No one will mourn or weep any longer. The pain of wounds will no longer exist, for the old order has ceased.” Revelation 21:4
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.” John 11:25
Verses for Coping With Death
- Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
- After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:17-18
- But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 19:14
- So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish. Matthew 18:14
- The righteous perish, and no one takes it to heart; the devout are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death. Isaiah 57:1-2
- Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.” Revelation 14:13
- For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39